Fire in downtown Olympia!

Olympia Underground -

Fire in downtown Olympia!


A major fire occurred last Wednesday in downtown Olympia, Washington, one block north of the K office when a four story apartment building under construction mysteriously burst into flames. Fortunately no one was injured, but many folks with connections to K were affected as the fire quickly moved north damaging several other nearby buildings. This fire is going to change downtown Olympia, as many of the businesses affected may not relocate in the downtown area.

Directly across the alley was Revival Motors and Coffee, a combination coffee and motorcycle repair shop run by Audrey Henley and her husband Jimmy. Audrey is Executive Director of the Capitol Theater - - - site of the Built to Spill/Team Dresch show three days after the fire, so you know she is being pulled in too many directions right now! There is a relief fund for Revival Motors and Coffee, HERE.

Mirce Popovic was an employee of Revival Motors and also plays in Restless, whose debut album Restless [KLP276] was co-released by K and Perennial. Mirce lost all his personal tools in the fire. There is an effort organized to help him replace his tools, which are his livelihood, Tools for Mirce Fund.

Next door to revival is the building that houses both Sound Audio Repair and Community Print. Sound Audio Repair is the brainchild of Sam Gray, former coordinator of Dub Narcotic Studio (Sound Audio Repair employee Ethan Camp was also an engineer at Dub Narcotic). Sound Audio Repair is an important resource for all the recording and performing music peoples in the area providing invaluable repair services on amplifiers and everything else. We can't do without it, so please donate to the Sound Audio Repair Fund. Community Print is a cooperative letterpress studio originally started down the hall from the K office, by many folks integral to K. They are also suffering  from smoke and water damage. You can learn more from their WEBSITE.

Any assistance you can provide these folks impacted by last week's fire is greatly appreciated.